Sunday, February 6, 2011

Why a Buddhist Movies blog?

I read an article about the movie 'Tron: Legacy' being a Taoist and Zen Buddhist movie. An interview with Jeff Bridges confirmed the zen influence. Later I read about Groundhog Day being a Buddhist movie.

While searching the web just now for more Buddhist movies, I found a lot of sites where a few movies where mentioned in articles or discussed in the comments, but I could not find a site dedicated to this theme with a 'complete' list. Since I am both a movie-buff and a 'zen-man', I thought it was time to devote a blog to movies influenced by, dealing with, or containing a Buddhist/Zen message! For a lot of films it's not hard to see that it is a film about Buddhism (Samsara, Seven Years in Tibet), but did you know there is a connection between Zen Buddhism and Fight Club?

I hope this blog will serve as a guide to finding these films so you can enjoy them. I will include both Eastern and Western movies. So look out for regular updates, since it will take quite some time to include all Buddhist movies! ;-)

Sincerely,
Your Zen Movie Buff

PS. Feel free to share your movie suggestions in the comments.

2 comments:

  1. Just what I was looking for: an extensive list of Buddhist movies drawn up by movie and zen enthusiast.
    I've found it hard to find spiritually minded people who are also movie enthusiasts....the two don't often mix together.

    You might want to include the excellent "Gandhi"(1982) with its strong non-violence theme.

    Then maybe also:
    Buddha's Lost Children (2006)
    Siddhartha (1972)
    The life of Buddha (2007)
    Buddha Wild: Monk in a Hut (2006)

    There are also documentaries like:
    Chasing Buddha (2000)
    The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation (1994)
    Life of Buddha (2007)

    Thanks!

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy,

    Thanks for your support. A longer list of movies is already available at IMDb: Buddhist Movies - http://www.imdb.com/rg/s/1/list/Y0OyMPZ7Rvs/

    I have to think about including documentaries... Are documentaries movies? They are non-fiction, and therefore IMHO not really 'movies'. I saw some of the films you mention, and some I will have to check out.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete